Monday 11 November 2013

What is Photojournalism?

We've been set a task to create our own brief to take a selection of images which could be used in the College's prospectus to show people what photojournalism is. 

To help me create ideas, I made a montage of different photo-journalistic photos to give me a overview of what my images should look like. From this and the previous tasks we have done I could see hat he majority of the photos are taken on he streets and aren't planned - they're just taken and people aren't asked to pose.  
Here is my Montage:


Then I had to start thinking about what images I could take to show photojournalism. To do his, I created some mind maps to help me plan out my ideas where I could talk about the different themes within photojournalism. Here is my first mind map: 


As you can see there can be many different themes within photojournalism, but most of the time, they are unplanned photos on real life events. If there are people in the photo, they haven't been asked to pose, therefore, this can go under street photography because you are taking unexpected photos of people. I then did a mind map on street photography:

As you can see, when doing street photography you can give yourself a certain theme/subject to photograph so you're not just taking photos of something someone random on the street. 

Photojournalism is also about them mystery and story of the photo, what's happening and why? Who is in the image and why are they there? etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment