Monday 21 October 2013

Lee Friedlander Interpretations

Lee Friedlander (born July 14, 1934) is an American photographer and artist. In the 1960s and 70s, working primarily with 35mm cameras and black and white film, Friedlander evolved an influential and often imitated visual language of urban "social landscape," with many of his photographs including fragments of store-front reflections, structures framed by fences, posters and street signs.

He tried to include himself within his images somehow and most the time he did this by including shadows or reflections of himself. Like this image for example, we can see his shadow on the back of the woman in front of him: 


Here are some if my interpretations trying to use some of his techniques:

 In this image I have used reflection, but also repetition because I am reflected twice in the two mirrors. I made it so the smiley face on the Gum dispenser covers my face to give the image more of a humorous feel. Like in Friedlander's images, you can see his reflection, but not all of him and not very clearly - this is what i have interpretated in my image. 
 In this image, of another gum dispenser  I am again incorporated in the image by a reflection  but this time, it is only my hand, arm and the camera you can see as I wanted to get the sign "feed me gum" within the image as well.
For this image, you can see a shadow of me on the pole, but I have also incorporated the reflection of people outside in the glass door. This uses two of the techniques with Friedlander used.
 This image is slightly blury this is because it is all a reflection from one of the mirrored windows outside college. As you can see i am again in the image by reflection, however you can't see my face, and this gives the image a question of identity, like Friedlander's did when they just included his shadow. 
Finally in this image we can only see a reflection of the railing in the glasss pane, but it still looks effective.

No comments:

Post a Comment